Tuesday, August 02, 2005

"Look at me/ I'm Sandra O' Day"


An open letter to Sandra day O'Connor:

Your most supreme justice O'Connor,

First of all, I want to give you props for being a woman. It's really great to have a woman on the Supreme Court. Just as Margaret Thatcher's prime ministry was a victory for all English women, you're supremacy has meant a victory for all American women. Just as Clarence Thomas champions the rights of Black people in a way that makes Thurgood Marshall look like a segregationist, and just as Antonin "Toni, Tone, Tone" Scalia, champions the rights of the all-too ignored disenfranchised Italian-Americans, (most notably by protecting them from the un-American and especially un italian-american homosexual agenda) you too have championed the rights of XY Americans.

Yet Sandra, may I call you Sandra, as your number one fan, I can't help but tell you that I think it was a rotten thing for you to step down from the Supreme Court. It's a question of common courtesy, of respecting one's elders. Your colleague William Rehnquist cannot talk. He cannot walk. He has a gaping whole in his throat. By the time this blogg entry reaches you, he may very well be dead. And yet he is chugging away at his decisions. The least you could do was wait for him to retire. I understand that you've retired to spend more time with your husband, who suffers from Alzheimer's. Sandra, I want to let you know that my grandmother has Alzheimer's, and so the disease is something very near and dear to me. And I mean no respect, and speak from experience, when I say that you're husband will not notice or remember that you're spending more time with him. Trust me on that one. But this country will notice-- and remember-- your absence from the court.

Sincerely,
Katie Day O'Halper

1 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

You predicted it Katie! Well, close, anyway.

I had a dream last night that Ani DiFranco linked to your blog. Please don't ask me why, as I'll never, ever know.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home